Old July 30th 20, 04:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Gravel bikes

On 7/30/2020 10:30 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/29/2020 6:53 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 15:39:48 -0700 (PDT),
"
wrote:

On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 4:09:31 PM UTC-5, AK wrote:
What do you think of a gravel bike?

Does anyone have one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC_xFpg_UmA

Andy

I've done a few rides recently on gravel roads. They
were fun with the group. Not sure

riding them by myself would be any fun. I used a Nashbar
cyclocross
bike. Heavy steel. 38mm tires. STI ten speed.
Cantilever. Shimano
105 rear derailleur died at the end of one ride and had to be
replaced. So I'm not sure gravel riding is good or not.
Not sure
what a gravel bike means. I've ridden many different
bikes on gravel
roads just fine. Most gravel roads have two or three
perfectly smooth
strips on them that you ride on. Much smoother than many
potholed
roads. Less wear and tear on the bike. But you do have
to run over
loose rocks when making turns. Those are the rough
pothole portions
of gravel roads. Pros ride the cobblestone classics each
year on road
racing bikes converted to gravel by putting huge 28mm
tires on them.
They ride 150 miles at 30 mph.

Out of curiosity "Shimano 105 rear derailleur died" What
actually
happened?

I wondered the same thing.

Peruse these:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=broken+der...es&ia =images

The most common failure being "merge with spokes".

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/