Old June 15th 09, 03:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

Default Curious bicycle reflector incident

On Jun 15, 9:35*am, wrote:

The same goes for Scotchlite that one should not overlook as a good
safety reflector. *What is more annoying are the many HID lights with
nearly collimated illumination that illuminate road signs poorly,
signs that are not in the middle of the traffic lane. *To make up for
that, these lights on cars and bicycles are blinding to oncoming
traffic until they are close enough that the collimated beam misses
the approaching observer.

That is mostly due to NHTSA and their unwillingness to adopt ECE
regulations for beam pattern for headlamps. The ECE lights have a
sharp horizontal cutoff with a kickup to the curb side to illuminate
roadside signs. I've been running them in my personal car for years
with no noticeable effects other than that I can see the road better;
I haven't noticed any inability to see overhead signs (most of which
are lit anyway) which is the usual argument put forward by NHTSA as to
why they are unacceptable.

Also, ECE codes mandate automatic levelers for HID lights (to
compensate for empty/loaded conditions) while NHTSA regs do not, only
making the problem worse.

You'll notice that they are most irritatingly blinding when still far
away and less so at close range... unless it is one of those bicyclist
who aim their light at oncoming observers to demonstrate their
powerful equipment, mostly in daylight... and how safely equipped.

To be fair, there's plenty of automobile owners that do that too. The
thing that I really hate is the cyclists (and motorcyclists too) with
strobing headlights, it's just annoying to look at. Not really
dangerous though unless poorly aimed. Of course some motorcyclists
leave their high beams on during the day, which can be painfully
blinding...

nate