Old September 17th 19, 06:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

Default 6-8 yr old rema tiptop patches- too old?

On Tuesday, September 17, 2019 at 11:21:10 AM UTC-5, David Scheidt wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
:On 9/16/2019 11:10 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
: patrick wrote:
: :Just got back to riding after 6 months off and had a couple of problems
: :with patches. Using the usual abrade/clean - alky or acetone then lay
: :down the glue, wait to dry , apply patch and wait a bit. Tried several
: :and had the patch peel away under a bit of stretching of the tube.
: :thought there might be something amiss with the adhesive and the result
: :with the different brand of valcanising fluid was the same. The patches
: :themselves were not sticking to the alum base sheet and the plastic was
: :intact on the peel way.They felt as flexible as new so I don't think the
: atches themselves were bad but I can't speak to the cold vulcanzing
: :agent that's supposed to be activated by the fluid in the tube Going to
: :buy a couple patch kits before I commit to another couple boxes of rema
: :small/large patches. Again 6-8 yr old patches out of the box (stored at
: :ambient temps SoCal- hottish summers but the restf the yr pretty mild -
: :coastal). Thoughts?? Thanks Pat
:
: The inner (tube facing) surface of a patch consists unvulcanized
: rubber and a vulcanizing ultra-acclerator (usually a zinc
: thiocarbamate, but the details are propertietary, of course). The
: ultra-accelerator is supposed to be inactive, until it's activate. In
: normal usage, the vulcanizing fluid contains an activator (usually a
: thiazole), which activates the ultra-accellerator, and voilla!,
: instantly vulcanized repair. Heat in storage can set the patches off,
: as can exposure to various chemicals. The box of patches I've got
: says I bought them in 2011. They, and the bottle of vulcanizing fluid
: (dated 2013) worked fine when I used them a few weeks ago. But
: they've been stored either at my office or my baseement, neither of
: whcih get hot.

:That's a _lot_ more chemistry than I've ever understood, but I agree in
rinciple with David. I have patches that qualify as ancient -
articularly, the oval Rema Tip-Top ones that are almost two inches
:long. Whenever I finally use up all the round patches in a box, there
:are a couple of those left over. They sit around for years in my
:basement drawer, but I've never had one fail when I've finally found a
:use for it.

there are times I wish I had a box of those:
https://imgur.com/gallery/wKGLIvd
https://imgur.com/a/MhRgmcA

--
Movable type was evidently a fad. --Amanda Walker

When the hole is that big, you need to throw it away.

I thought I was cheap.

:-)

Andy