Old April 4th 07, 03:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John Henderson

Default Chain cleaning solvents

suzyj wrote:

Last night I filled the car up with biodiesel, and I started
to wonder if it's any good for cleaning chains. From what
I've read on the web, it's a better solvent than petrodiesel
(in as much as it removes deposits from your fuel system so
they can gum up filters and injectors), and it's certainly
safer to store than petrodiesel, having a higher flash-point.

I agree about biodiesel's superior solvent properties. Carry a
spare fuel filter if you switch to it in a high-milage Diesel.

I wonder if it might be less of a skin irritant, too...

I believe it is. There are (unconfirmed) reports of people
drinking the stuff to prove a point.

So has anyone tried it? I'm kicking myself now for not
tsaking a fuel container with me last night when I filled the
car...

I still use turps for chain cleaning, so I can't comment on that
aspect.

The thing I want to know is where you managed to find biodiesel
on sale (unless from SAFF in Adelaide).

John