Old March 30th 21, 07:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Eyc headlight problem

On 3/29/2021 5:02 PM, Sepp Ruf wrote:

snip

Hold on, Jeff, I'm sorry for the little misunderstanding. I only linked to
Ulli Horlacher's latest work there, presented at de.rec.fahrrad on Fri, 26
Mar 2021 08:06:31 +0000 (UTC). Actually, I do not even agree with the
concept of basing one's entire front lighting on one, single beam lamp,
however expensive and reliable it may be.

Most people in the U.S. with dynamo lights (and there aren't a lot of
them!) also have some sort of battery powered light, even just an
inexpensive USB-rechargeable light.

One reason is to have a backup, but the main reason is that most dynamo
lights don't have a flash DRL mode because that mode isn't legal in some
European countries where most of the dynamo lights are sold. I suspect
that's why Frank bought the Oculus from Barry Beams, even though he'd
never admit it. The only dynamo light I've seen with a flash mode is the
Planet Bike Blaze Dynamo, a pretty low-power light
https://www.planetbike.com/blaze-dynamo-sl-bike-headlight/.

I designed a simple circuit to use on dynamo lights, with no DRL but
with a lower-intensity stand-light, to add DRL functionality . It
disconnects and reconnects the AC voltage from the dynamo so the light
goes between full brightness and standlight brightness (this is similar
to the "breathe mode" on some battery powered lights).