Old March 31st 21, 09:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Eyc headlight problem

On 31/3/21 3:17 pm, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, March 30, 2021 at 7:29:29 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
On 3/30/2021 2:59 PM, sms wrote:
On 3/29/2021 5:02 PM, Sepp Ruf wrote:

snip

Hold on, Jeff, I'm sorry for the little misunderstanding. I
only linked to Ulli Horlacher's latest work there, presented at
de.rec.fahrrad on Fri, 26 Mar 2021 08:06:31 +0000 (UTC).
Actually, I do not even agree with the concept of basing one's
entire front lighting on one, single beam lamp, however
expensive and reliable it may be.

Most people in the U.S. with dynamo lights (and there aren't a
lot of them!) also have some sort of battery powered light, even
just an inexpensive USB-rechargeable light.

I very much doubt that statement arose from anywhere but your
imagination. You can't possibly have data to back it up.

It's true there aren't a lot of U.S. cyclists with dyno lights.
That's mainly because there aren't a lot of U.S. cyclists who use
their bikes as anything but toys and exercise machines. There isn't
the critical mass to form a target market for a light that's always
available at the flick of a switch plus gives far better
illumination than almost all battery lights.

That's total nonsense. Pre-pandemic, I rode with dozens or hundreds
of commuters every day, probably one out of thirty had a dyno -- if
even that. People prefer brighter, battery powered lights. Every
time I hear your story of cohorts admiring your bright light, I think
WTF? I've got SP PD8 dyno hub driving a Luxos B, and its inadequate
for night riding anywhere other than lighted streets. Its nice having
the dyno when all else fails, but it is not a serious primary light
on the roads and in the weather I ride. And yes, I ride with a
battery "flasher" -- an L&M that pulses. It differentiates my solid
beam from other solid beams, vis., cars and other bikes in two way
facilities.

Every time I read your story of SP PD8 and Luxos B giving inadequate
light for night riding, I remember how well my SP PV-8 and B&M IQTec
Premium lights the road beautifully in all weather and conditions, and
how I scoffed at the people I rode with at night with their pitiful
battery lights with round beam that didn't light the road well at all.
Even worse were the people with bright lights on their helmet, who
blinded everyone around them and rarely aimed at the road ahead.

--
JS