Old March 31st 21, 04:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Another Cheap Buy

On 3/31/2021 8:13 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Tuesday, March 30, 2021 at 8:53:21 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, March 30, 2021 at 7:01:13 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/30/2021 2:52 PM, jbeattie wrote:

What do you mean by "odd completely flush lower headset"? Pick one: https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...dset-standards
Good reference site. Anyone have comments on the advantages or
disadvantage of the various "standards"?

Good question. Think of it as the new golden era of headsets -- after the last golden era of headsets (English/JIS/Swiss/French/Italian -- and whatever Andrew identifies). The good news is that we're again reaching a stasis -- integrated, although there are several flavors of integrated. The other good news is that the bearings last a very long time. I'm using the HS from my totaled Supersix in my CAADX. Installing the headset took five minutes, or six minutes (I had to install a crown bearing seat). The other bikes have molded bearing seats.

O.T., but still bicycle related, I had a draggy front disc on my Synapse, so I decided to take off the caliper and clean the pistons, and when I took off the caliper (flat mount), a bunch of water came dripping out of the caliper mount holes, so I dropped the fork and poured out the water. I probably reduced bike weight by 40 grams. Having a integrated headset made it super easy. I do wonder, however, how the water got in there.

-- Jay Beattie.

Tell me Jay - if headsets are so standardized why does Cane Creek make 14 different sized?

Standards are wonderful! We ought to have more of them!

And likely will, just wait a minute.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/