Old April 8th 21, 01:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Special tools for bicycles

On Thursday, April 8, 2021 at 5:36:48 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 7, 2021 at 6:10:25 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 10:45:32 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 11:26:29 AM UTC-5, wrote:

According to Frank buying anything from China is sure danger even though most American companies have their parts made in China. The three top end Trek Frames are one of the exceptions. But Frank is perfectly willing to tell you otherwise.

Believe it or not, I do not follow every thread and insult on this forum. But I find it impossible to believe Frank or anyone at all said anything from China is dangerous. After all, just look at the FACTS. Everyone, me, you, Frank, and everyone else is using a computer Made In China to type on this forum. Everyone, me, you, Frank, and everyone else, is using a cellular telephone Made In China. Everyone, me, you, Frank, and everyone else, is using a television Made In China. All of us, even the most serious MAGA fanatic in the USA, uses Chinese made stuff everyday. I know many people love to scream Buy American, and all the other slogans. But the simple fact is many, most things are not made in the USA. And many, most things source some or all parts from China. And other parts of the world. Trading with other countries is a good thing. It allows everyone to prosper. Good, not bad.

China makes perfectly good stuff as well as junk. Probably 20 years
ago I was planning to re-engine a boat and trying to decide on what
engine to use and someone suggested Chinese made Cummins and when I
checked with Cummins I found that the Chinese made engines carried the
exact same guarantee as a U.S. made engine.

I hope I did not write the comment that all Chinese stuff is bad, awful, horrible, terrible. After all Apple makes some of their phones and computers in China and many, many people literally sleep with their iPhones. And campout for a week in the lines at the Apple stores to be the first person to get the new Chinese made Apple phone.

China makes every quality level of product. Those Chinese communists, fascists, dictators have a good grasp of capitalist supply and demand. They see a demand from the USA consumer for cheap garbage junk, and they are happy and willing to provide the supply. Capitalism at its best. And when Apple and others demand quality products, they can produce them too. Kind of like the USA automobile business. Pickup trucks seem to be of high quality. But the cars are basically junk. Ford, Chevy, and especially Chrysler, make all different quality levels of vehicles.
The point is that China makes stuff to sell and if you want cheap
stuff they are perfectly willing to provide what you want to buy. And
apparently USians want cheap stuff. Harbor Freight went from almost
literally a "sell out of the garage" business to a billion dollar
business selling cheap stuff to the U.S. market.

It might be of interest to know that Japan, after WW II, did exactly
the same thing. Made cheap stuff and in some cases cornered the market
and then gradually increased quality as the market would stand it.

China is perfectly good at manufacturing and probably have as good assembly lines as anywhere in the world. Aside from the fact that much of the staff is forced labor. They also have very good engineering since their engineers are often trained in the finest Universities in the world. The trouble is that they also have many "self-made" engineers. These people can be very good too, after all, I was one of those. But being self trained they often do not have access to things like the standards that Park Tool makes their tools to and so they make them to their own standards. Late nights for little pay make for insufficient time to look things up on the Internet. And their access to the Internet is strictly controlled.