Old June 3rd 20, 11:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Prayer request

On Wed, 3 Jun 2020 15:17:30 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 3:12:28 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 3 Jun 2020 10:13:42 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 7:46:41 AM UTC-7, Ralph Barone wrote:
Andy wrote:
On Sunday, May 31, 2020 at 12:09:47 AM UTC-5, Ralph Barone wrote:
Andy wrote:
It grieves me about all the violence occurring as the result of many police
activities resulting in the deaths of people in the U.S.

Killing of innocent people by police is evil.

Great though they may be, God actively restrains the test and temptations
that come our way so that we will not experience anything greater than we can bear.
(see 1 Corinthians 10:13)

Fatal car and airplane accidents bring awful devastation, but
statistically these are rare. On January 15, 2009, what should have
brought certain death to passengers aboard Flight 1549, and catastrophe
to Manhattan, turned into what secular reporters labeled a "miracle". The
pilot, Chesley Sullenbeger, safely landed a crippled plane in New York's
Hudson river, with no serious injuries.

While chunks of ice and busy ferries filled most of the river, the
place where the plane came down remained clear of both ice and boats. It
landed without breaking apart.

Ferryboat captains rescued all 155 people from the frigid river within minutes.

The New York Times suggested "more than luck" brought brought the plane down
mere minutes from experts trained in water rescues. Passengers who said
they hadn't believed in God nevertheless prayed to him on the plane, then
publicly thanked him for sparing their lives.

I tell this story to raise a question. Is it not likely that a kind and
all powerful God routinely prevents terrible tragedies in ways that we do
not see and therefore do not credit as miracles?

While the miracle of Flight 1549 appears to be the exception, not the
rule, we cannot know about the most of the equally miraculous interventions of God that
may have invisibly prevented other tragedies. Perhaps one day we'll hear
those stories and marvel at how God intervened when we imagined him
uninvolved in our world.

I ask that you pray that people will realize that their Creator loves them.

Thanks,
Andy

My thoughts on the topic are closer to Andy Partridge’s than they are to
yours.

https://youtu.be/p554R-Jq43A

Well Ralph, you are entitled to your beliefs.

The video offers no hope.

It's a eat drink and be merry, and then we die.

That's quite sad.

It is interesting that you are the only one to remark about my post.

That in itself says volumes.

I on the other hand have hope.

I know that life on Earth is not all there is.

That is in spite that for over 30 years, I HAD level 9 neck pain 24 hrs a day.

If you have been to a hospital, you may have seen the pain chart showing
the characteristics of the 10 levels of pain.

God answered my prayer last year. :-)

Andy

And you are entitled to your beliefs as well. My personal hypothesis is
that religion evolved to provide a shortcut to ethical behaviour in society
(follow these rules on how people must be treated or an invisible man in
the sky will smite you). If you can independently arrive at reasons to be
ethical and treat people well, then you don’t need religion. I am glad that
your neck pain is gone, although, as with Job, I do wonder why a kind and
just God would be so unkind to his chosen ones.

PS: Hope can be found in the absence of a supreme being. You just need to
take matters into your own hands a bit more.

Ralph, you are completely welcome to your beliefs but at the last moment like the two thieves on either side of Christ on the cross you are going to be asked to believe. And the maker will know if you're just trying to dodge the bullet.

Presupposing that there is a "Maker". And, if there is he is
apparently the God of the Jews, the Moslems and the Christians so it
may get sort of crowded.
--
cheers,

John B.

You will never have to worry about it. you will be spending eternity with the rests of the ashes in the Lake of Fire.

Yes, that is what a minority of the earth's population believe. About
30% if I remember correctly.
--
cheers,

John B.