Old June 27th 20, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan S. MacAbre

Default Crankshaft end tapers.

AMuzi wrote:
On 6/27/2020 7:08 AM, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, 27 June 2020 07:49:50 UTC-4, Dan S. MacAbre
wrote:
Tosspot wrote:
On 26/06/2020 17:57, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Is it possible that there are more than one kind of
taper?Â* I
recently had to replace the bottom bracket bearings on
the missus'
Italian bike. I had to get one a little wider (70mm, I
think) and of
smaller diameter than most; but I got a Shimano one
that fitted
correctly.Â* But since then, the LH pedal bolt has
tended to slacken
slowly, and the crank makes an embarrassing creaking
noise int time
with the pedalling effort oscillating from left to
right.Â* Is it
possible that the Ofmega pedals fitted to it are not
fitting the
taper correctly?Â* No play can be felt by hand, and
they are still
almost impossible to remove without lots of unpleasant
hammering with
a tapered car balljoint splitter.

Speaking of which, is there a tool that can get pedals
off easily?Â* I
*Â had a tool that screwed into the side of the pedal,
but instead of
pulling the pedal off, it just pulled out all the alloy
thread that
it was supposed to fit into.Â* Again, is that because
the Ofmega
pedals have a different thread there?

Welcome to JIS vs ISO.Â* Chuck in the towel and move to
JIS.Â* I fought it
for a few years, I didn't win -(

Hm. Well, I am a bit of an old fuddy-duddy.* I will now
need to find out
what JIS is.* Working on old motorbikes, it's even taken
me a long time
to get used to metrication.* If it wasn't for having to
fix the car
every now and then, I would never have had to.

Read the two links that I posted after your first post in
this thread.

Cheers

Well, this bit is certainly relevant for me:

"There are no modern bottom brackets that work with old
Ofmega/Avocet cranks."

What we have here is Ofmega, so it looks like I will need to
get NOS parts from somewhere.

Phil Wood still produces their classic Phil #2 USA made crank bearing
assembly for that application, same as 1971 and as current as this morning:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/WFDJH9.JPG

Thanks. If I'm to do this properly, I'll have to look for things like
that. I thought I was lucky to find the Shimano thing that fitted, but
it seems to have had unintended consequences.