Old August 9th 06, 06:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default Highest paved roads

bob sullivan wrote:
wrote:
bob sullivan wrote:
Hi, everybody,

Came across this site this afternoon, and I thought it looked
interesting enough to post about:

http://www.torelli.com/kom/default.htm

If you click on the 'Climbs/Races' button, there are links
to paved road climbs in Africa, Asia-Pacific, Canada,
Europe, Latin America/Caribbean, and the United States.
Some neat information, like the fact that at 14,130 feet,
Mt. Evans, Colorado is the highest paved road climb in North
America.

Happy climbing!

~bob

I've ridden some of the highest paved roads in La.

What's the highest in LA? I notice it's not listed on the Torelli
KOM site.

~bob

Dear Bob,

Arguably somewhere near towering Driskill Mountain (535 feet):

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/ima... cadia%7cla%7c

Bonnie and Clyde topped out nearby and a bit lower.

" . . . the country's third lowest state high point (only Florida and
Delaware are lower) . . ."

"We walked down the red clay road, past a radio antenna into the woods,
bearing left. If you proceed straight you go up the "false summit."
Many accounts on the summit log report of people getting lost. The
trick is to bear left and go downhill at a gate which forks the road.
A short distance later a sign points the way to Driskill Mountain."

[Horrors! Lost summiteers wandering in circles in search of Louisiana's
highest natural point! More fun text and some nice pictures at the link
below.]

http://www.americasroof.com/la.shtml

Of course, One Shell Square, New Orleans, is 697 feet tall:

http://www.lagumbo.com/

You could probably get a bicycle within 161 feet of the top of the
building if you claimed to be a messenger.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel