Old May 3rd 18, 06:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Default Dynamo/LED power conditioning

sms wrote:
:On 5/2/2018 7:49 PM, bob prohaska wrote:
: I finally caved and bought a Shimano dh-3n72 hub for use on my
: exercise bike. It works fine, but the LEDs flicker quite noticeably
: at all speeds. The circuit puts series trios of LEDs in inverse
: parallel across the dynamo, so each trio lights on alternate half-
: cycles. The flicker wasn't visible with the old Soubitez roller,
: because it was working at about 6x higher frequency. The circuit is at
: http://www.zefox.net/~bob/bicycle/schematic.gif
: The point of the design is to eliminate rectifier losses, which are
: substantial at low voltage.
:
: The new setup might be ok for fast riding. At low speeds and in traffic
: I'm less sure I'll like it and fairly certain bystanders won't like it
: at all, especially at night. As a DRL it certainly aids conspicuity 8-)
:
: Can anybody point me to a discussion of what outfits like B&M use in
: their dynamo-powerd LED headlights? I've searched intermittenly but
: never hit the right keywords.
:
: Thanks for reading, and any guidance.
:
: bob prohaska

:I suspect that they use a Schottky Bridge Rectifier, with a capacitor
:across the DC output, plus a couple of farads for any standlight that
:switches in when stopped.

I would not be at all surprised if the better stuff (where better
needn't mean 'more expensive' just 'better design' or maybe just
'newer design') is using a MOSFET brige. One for a bike light
wouldn't be terribly expensive, and they're substantially more
efficent than a schottky is.

--
sig 24