Old November 1st 18, 02:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Nashbar P-Handle Wrenches -- and thank you Royal Mail

On 2018-10-31 10:43, jbeattie wrote:
So I did this CLE speaking gig for the state bar, and they gave me a
little Amazon card that I used to buy myself these uber-cheap Nashbar
p-handle hex wrenches. https://tinyurl.com/y8rrfyuf (I got via Amazon
for the same price).

That link only produces a security warning here.

... What a great set of wrenches. I don't know how
I lived without these for so long, particularly with all the recessed
brake lever bolts these days. All this time I've been using long or
standard hex wrenches or hex multi wrenches like this:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....PL._SX425_.jpg

I recently bought this, with matching pouch:

https://www.crankbrothers.com/products/m19

It appears to be almost indestructible but is too heavy for weight
weenies, over 7oz. I have it only for a few months but it already
saved the bacon twice, for other riders.

You mean like the weight weenies that told you to get a combination tool
rather than go looking for rocks and nails?

The ground-off nail was riding in my tool kit. That and the required
steel nut (for the otehr side of the chain) weighed a fraction of an ounce.

I have the same tool and don't find 175g too much to carry. But then
again, I don't have to make room for growlers and 4 lb tubes.

I don't mind either. Just mentioned it because when I used the tool the
other cyclists wanted to see it. The general consensus among them was
"It's very nice but too heavy".

The bike growler is largely retired because I have since started
home-brewing.

... The price was not crazy, either -- even with
postage. I threw it in last night, and it works like a charm. If I
break that part again, I think I would have to get it from some
re-seller in Japan or Germany. That's incredible for a lever that is
maybe two years out of date and for an alleged wear item. This is
now SOP with the constant product upgrades from Shimano. One pines
away for the days when nothing worked that well, but it didn't change
from year to year.

Yep, like my downtube friction shifters. I could always buy new ones
for just a few dollars but nothing breaks.

In my opinion, the single biggest improvement of modern bike tech has
been brifters. I can't imagine using downtube friction shifters now.
Even if replacements are expensive. I don't know though since I've
never replaced anything other than a cable.

Brifters are nice as long as you don't have to shift across the whole
cassette very fast. Like when almost having missed a turn off with an
immediate steep incline.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/