Old November 27th 07, 08:38 PM posted to aus.bicycle
G-S

Default Simple bikes for local transport

Plodder wrote:
"G-S" wrote in message
Zebee Johnstone wrote:
I agree. I have no idea how much "fashion" comes into it. For kids a
lot, for adults, maybe not so much. Well.. maybe adult men

A Giant Cypress City (complete with Chain guard, kick stand, hub gears, no
front derailer, lights, rack, suspension seat and front suspension) is
hardly a 'fashion statement' :-) [1]

G-S

[1] nor i suspect is BT's K-Mart bike! [2]

[2] we're adult... really we are *convincing look* [3]

[3] I don't think Zebee is buying it BTH *sigh*

Yes it is - for certain people. The Cypress City has been popular with those
who want a 'cut above the Elwood' for pootling the Perth foreshore bike
paths and the like. There's a pootler's subculture that has its own
fashions. Not everybody's fashion consists of performance items. Some just
like to look good when being casual unreal cyclists - I do like that term

Toodles,

me

Hmmm Interesting.

I'm not from Perth though, and I don't have a foreshore to ride along.
I live in a country victorian town and use the bike to commute to work.

Most of the cyclists here are lycra wearing race bike riders (very
active cycling club).

There are only a few people commuting that I've seen, and most tend to
commute on mountain bikes (riding a mountain bike seems unnecessary
extra effort to me).

I did look at the Elwood, then I looked at the Elwood SE (wanted front
suspension because our country road edges are shocking) but by the time
I added mudguards and chainguard and paid the shop to fit them there was
only $100 difference and I honestly thought the $100 extra for the hub
gears was worth it. [1]

G-S

[1] I will admit that I think the blue on the cypress city is a nicer
color if that helps ;-)