Old January 2nd 17, 11:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Beaded tires higher cost than folding, why?

On Monday, January 2, 2017 at 3:09:24 PM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
My last but one Gatorskin went, side wall damage, the usual. The side
wall on the rear tire looks iffy already and if that blows I'd have no
more spare for it. So it's time to refill the basement stack.
Unfortunately the CST Correre only comes in 700c*23mm. This leaves the
Gatorskin Hardshell with supposedly better side walls but ... the
700c*25 beaded is $48, ouch, too much. To my surprise the foldable is
"only" $39. Why is that?

I don't want the normal Gatorskins anymore because the side walls are
too flimsy.

If anyone knows about another new tire that is very puncture resistant
and low cost that would be nice. Weight does not matter and heavier is
usually better.

The cost difference is invariably sales driven only. The folding tires should always cost a little more than the steel beads but it's a toss-up.

There are several tires out with reinforced treads but I haven't found any that I like and are cheap.

Specialized Armadilloes cost an arm and a leg and they work better than Gatorskins in my experience.

There is a new tire on the market that sounds just up your alley - MICHELIN PRO4 ENDURANCE TIRE - CLINCHER - you can get them in 23, 25 and 28 mm from Competitive Cyclist for only $25. All of the reviews on them are good but the tire is still new yet.