Old November 14th 18, 03:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Chain Lube?

On 11/14/2018 1:06 AM, John B. slocomb wrote:
On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 15:54:13 +1100, James
wrote:

On 14/11/18 9:50 am, John B. slocomb wrote:

As for the rest of your argument, I performed an actual experiment,
rather then just imagining a result. I took an older chain, cleaned it
in solvent with a final wash in MEK, allowed it to dry and then
lubricated it with the above mentioned lube, allowed that to dry and
then, using a chain tool, disassembled several links and yes, the lub
had penetrated the chain and was evident in the rollers and on the
pins. I subsequently did the same thing using my chain wax formula -
much the same as James's mix - and the same thing happened. The hot
wax did penetrate the links

I often put a chain in hot wax/oil with the quick link put together, so
I don't lose it in the mix. Of course I have to undo it to reinstall
the chain on my bicycle, at which point I notice the wax/oil has
penetrated the pins of the quick link very well, so I conclude that it
has penetrated all the other pins and rollers very well too.

I find it a bit enlightening that those who have use a wax chain lube
all say it works, while those who apparently have never tried it say
it doesn't work :-)

A common phenomenon. See also the ridiculous abuse sometimes
advised for a new leather saddle, usually from a guy who
doesn't ride one.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/