Old January 2nd 10, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

Default Tire making, episode five

On 1 Jan, 21:51, DougC wrote:
Suppose that (during construction) I need to test a tire by mounting and
inflating it.

Is there any difference in rim strength if the rim is built into a
complete wheel, or if the rim is used alone?
~

Won't make any difference if you do not perform a roll test but you
may wish to consider how to handle the rim and tyre for mounting and
demounting. I find the spokes generaally useful in aiding the fitting
and removal of a tyre if the wheel is not attatched to a frame.