Old April 9th 05, 11:50 AM
Tom Anderson

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, David Splett wrote:

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message

What's a good route to cycle from Holloway (round about the Nag's
Head) to Bloomsbury (specifically, UCL)?

I frequently make this or similar journeys, and I would recommend the
following:-

Caledonian Road - Market Road - York Way (closed at the moment) - Goods
Way - Pancras Road - Euston Road - Judd Street - Hunter Street -
Russell Square. I've no idea how direct this is, but I'd guess it could be
done in 20 minutes, and can't think of any sections of road which would be
particularly hazardous.

Okay, i'll try that. The general approach - a route to the west of King's
Cross - is exactly what i need.

Now, is Copenhagen Street usable westbound? If so, that looks like it
might be a quicker way from Caledonian Road to York Way than Market Road.
If there were convenient access points, the canal would also be a handy
route from Caledonian Road to Goods Way.

And rather than Goods Way - Pancras Rd - Euston Rd - Judd St, how about
Goods Way - Midland Rd - Judd St? Providing there aren't one-way bits
there, that would deal with Euston Road by going straight over it, rather
than along it. This would be better for me, since i have an irrationally
great hatred of that road!

Anyway, it looks like i'm going to have to get on my bike and have a poke
about. I'll post my findings!

For a northbound journey you would have a problem of a banned-turn
turning right from Judd Street in to Euston Road, but I normally do this
on a daily basis with no problem.

Christ, is that banned as well? I hadn't noticed that one either!

For the return leg, the Gray's Inn route isn't so bad. Your route's
shorter, though.

Pancras Road is currently southbound only - the way to avoid this is to
continue east along Euston Road and turn turn left in to York Way. This
bit isn't too bad in the northbound direction - it's southbound that the
King's Cross junction is bad, or if going northbound from Gray's Inn
Road or Pentonville Road.

Funnily enough, i don't mind the actual junction all that much: the
traffic's slow enough that i can get where i want to go quite easily.

tom

--
Once you notice that something doesn't seem to have all the necessary parts to enable its functions, it is going to mildly bug you until you figure it out. -- John Rowland