Old September 1st 05, 11:09 AM
jbuch

Default Warm Biking Shoes for Cold Winter Commute ?

wrote:
jbuch wrote:

An occasional 0 F (-18 C), more common 20 F (-7 C) temperatures. Eastern
Central Iowa.

I am seeking the experience of others with warm winter biking shoes.

I tried three pairs of wool socks in clipless cycling shoes, and this
was pretty cold because of stuffing so much into a summer shoe just cuts
off the circulation and leaves the foot cold.

There seems to be a lot of heat loss through the metallic sole connections.

Platform pedals with hiking boots or insulated field boots and wool
socks works pretty good, but I lose some pedaling efficiency from the
platform pedals, but not enough to endure colder feet.

Overboots probably don't do much to stop the conductive heat loss
through the sole/attachment/pedal route, and I haven't tried them yet
because of that possibility.

Actually, with good wool socks and a liner, stiff soled full leather
athletic "Walking Shoes" also work fine to a little less than 20 F for
an hour ride. On a dry day.

I'm in the capital of Iowa. I suspect you're over in my alma mater
town. I have the Lake boot/shoes talked about by others. My feet get
very cold in an hour of 30 degree riding. My feet hurt after two hours
of 30 degree riding. I'm wearing wool socks and neoprene booties too.
A riding buddy uses cycling sandals with several layers of wool socks
and seems happy. I am going to give this a try this winter. I have
the snadals and wool socks. I'll put the neoprene booties over them
for some wind protection. Sandals will be loose enough for layers of
wool socks.

Your Mileage May Vary....

When I first started winter biking in the Quad cities area, I just used
leather based common athletic shoes and nice wool socks I bought from
Sam's Club. They were a Burlington sock, and I had bought 6 pairs for
about $20 and there was absolutely no wool itch. They have never
carried that sock again.

For me, 30 F for an hour was a piece of cake, so long as there was no
wet slop.

I had never thought of myself as a hardy winter type, as my previous 30
years had been spent in Southern California.

But skiing with good equipment never left me cold, unless it was a wet
day with drizzle or snow that melted on your clothes as soon as it hit.

Thanks for your input.

I will fiddle a little with the sandal and socks thing this winter, just
for curiosity. Now I have an idea of how to use neoprene socks, if I
ever find some which are inexpensive.

Jim