Old September 1st 05, 04:35 PM
Alex Rodriguez

Default Warm Biking Shoes for Cold Winter Commute ?

In article ,
says...

An occasional 0 F (-18 C), more common 20 F (-7 C) temperatures. Eastern
Central Iowa.

I am seeking the experience of others with warm winter biking shoes.

I tried three pairs of wool socks in clipless cycling shoes, and this
was pretty cold because of stuffing so much into a summer shoe just cuts
off the circulation and leaves the foot cold.

There seems to be a lot of heat loss through the metallic sole connections.

Platform pedals with hiking boots or insulated field boots and wool
socks works pretty good, but I lose some pedaling efficiency from the
platform pedals, but not enough to endure colder feet.

Overboots probably don't do much to stop the conductive heat loss
through the sole/attachment/pedal route, and I haven't tried them yet
because of that possibility.

Actually, with good wool socks and a liner, stiff soled full leather
athletic "Walking Shoes" also work fine to a little less than 20 F for
an hour ride. On a dry day.

Get a decent pair of winter boots and then find toe clips that will fit
the boots.
Alex