Old June 30th 16, 06:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Default The high cost of mountain biking!

"John B." wrote in message

On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 06:35:04 -0000 (UTC), news16
wrote:
[...]

Wow, Ed was a remittance man. got a weekly income from Mummy and Daddy to
flick off somewhere and not embarass the family. Very common in the Pommy
toffs

I actually knew a "remittance man" or at least that is what we

surmised him to be. English bloke from up north someplace. I knew him
for ten years or more and in all that time I never heard him mention a
job. Plenty of tales about having lived in hippy communes, visited
Ireland, travels in Scotland, etc., lived on the beach with a girl,
but never a mention of a job, or work.

It was obvious that he had some sort of remittance as the first of the

month he'd be flush with cash and would say things like, "Fix it? Just
throw money at it" and toward the end of the month he'd be caging
drinks. Slap his pocket and look amazed, "Oh! I forgot my money."

He wasn't a bad guy but a five minute conversation and you could

figure out why the family was happy to have him away from home :-)

When he died his daughter came over to settle things and of course all

the blokes who had known him made sure to meet her and tell her how
sorry that were to see the old boy gone, extend sympathy and the
usual. She just stood there, no tears, straight face, just like
someone told her what time it was.

I think the term is "No love lost".

Whereas John B.(Bull****ter) will be mourned by one and all when he passes -
for all the good it will do him in Hell where he will be consigned for
cycling on hiking trails.

But what any of this has to do with the topic of this thread escapes me.

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great – Minnesota