Old August 11th 05, 03:14 PM
Rick

Default The one thing that couldn't go wrong, did go wrong.

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
I got my new wheels. Neuvation M28 Aeros. Cheap, but well
reviewed.

I got a new cassette because moving from 6 to 9 speeds was
part of the justification for the new wheels (the old cogs
are on a freewheel and it's a bit eccentric).

I got a new chain because of the new 9-speed, and a spare
one.

I got new tires and tubes because these are 700C wheels and
my old ones are 27-inch.

I got a cassette tool and a chain whip (in case I had to
remove the cassette once I had it installed).

I got rim tape.

I put the cassette on the wheels, put a tube and tire on
the rear wheel, pumped it up, listened to it blow off,
removed it, put a new tube in, pumped it up, and then put a
tube and tire on the front without incident. The one that
blew must have been defective, because I double-checked
the bead after I set it, and the others aren't showing
any signs of weakness.

I racked my bike, removed its wheels, broke the chain, put
the new front wheel on, and went to put the rear on.

Um.

The new rear hub is 130 mm wide.

Turns out I'd mis-measured my rear stays and they're only
124 mm. The frame is made of steel. It's reinforced by the
brake mount, so it doesn't flex much the way I need it to.
No way am I bending this frame, and I really don't want to
have anyone else do it either.

So I'm kinda screwed at this point.

I can't put this wheel on this frame. The front fits fine.

I can't use a 130-mm rear. And if I switch the hub out,
I'll probably not be able to use a 9-speed cassette.

Dammit.

How did I measure that wrong? I used a caliper and it's way
the hell off. Maybe I measured the front and assumed...

Dammit.

DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT.

And now I can't ride tomorrow because I broke the chain and
I don't have a replacement pin for it...

Maybe the new chain will work. It has a split link, so I
can afford to try it. It might slip between the cogs,
though. And I'll need to lube it, if not strip and lube
it...

Or I can pull my MTB off its hook and go ride in South
Mountain Park.

Dammit dammit dammit.

I wanted to be on my new, lighter, smoother, truer, aero
wheels.

Dammit.

Spreading a steel frame a few mm should be fine.

The bigger problem you need to worry about are your brakes. You are
moving from a 27" (630mm rim) to a 700c (622mm rim). Your braking
surfaces will be 4mm further out. Can you brakes reach that additional
4mm? That is usually the biggest issue converting old frames like
that.

- rick