Old November 25th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla

Default hilarious

wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:

wrote:

Delgado was a great rider duing his time. But Delgado's doping record
will taint his comments about drugs. Delgado comes across as a
apologist for dopers.

His name is actually Deldopa.

I think that Delgado does make some good points. Certain substances
should be allowed if they are used for medicinal purposes. Naturally a
use would have to be by prescription and reported to the UCI. The
medical condition would be to be verified by a UCI appointed doctor as
well.

WADA or UCI would appoint a doctor and the team would then be
responsible for the medical costs.

Dude, are you lucid? TUE's are a loophole for using bannned substances
and WADA is trying to close them every year (asthma, etc.). What is it,
like 60% of pro cyclists claim to have diagnosable asthma. Since when
does a prescription by a medical doctor mean the purpose of its use is
not performance enhancing?

Also, the UCI isn't in the habit of verifying medical conditions. WADA
sets the doping code and banned list and TUE's, not the UCI. Any doctor
the UCI would hire is probably a part of the omerta anyway. They give
out TUE's in Europe like candy on Halloween.

Delgado is right when he says that riders don't race enough. It's
understandable that a rider like Lance cut back his spring schedule.
But there is no reason why he did not race more in the fall.
Mark & Steven Bornfeld wrote:

I agree that pro cycling has become much harder. But as I said before
it's hard to explain how a rider peaks for the TDF and then does not
enter any races for the rest of the season.
I sometimes wonder if the peaking has not become to predominant in
training. If there is any scientific studies on peaking I would be most
interested...??

Lance didn't find it hard to explain. Personally, I think it's stupid
that guys ride year round.

You don't need scientific studies on peaking. When you're a pro and
riding 500 miles a week, burnout is at your doorstep every morning you
wake up. You shouldn't be riding 400 miles/week for 7 months out of the
year.

Magilla