Old August 12th 17, 05:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Stress Analysis in the Design of Bicycle Infrastructure

On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 15:05:55 -0700, sms
wrote:

https://bikesiliconvalley.org/wp-content/uploads/170808-5B-Alta-Level-of-Traffic-Stress-Knowles.pdf

This was one of the presentations at the Silicon Valley Bicycle
Coalition Bike Summit.

Slide 6 is especially telling. No surprise that the U.S. has the lowest
number of bicycle travel in terms of distance, and the highest death rate.

How many of the US deaths were due to getting hit by a drunk driver?
Of the bicycle fatalities which I'm somewhat familiar, two were from
drunk drivers and one was from a heart attack.
https://www.google.com/search?q=cyclist+killed+by+drunk+driver
"Investigators, however, have never provided a reasonable
explanation how (the cyclist), struck from behind, shares
responsibility for his own death..."

I'm also wondering if the statistics from other countries include or
exclude drunk drivers and heart attacks. Statistics without sources
are worthless.

Want to make the roads really safe for cyclists? Just execute drunk
drivers on the spot. Bicycle fatality statistics should drop rapidly.
However, I'm not sure it will affect the overall picture as some
cycling accident investigations seem to follow a "blame the victim"
mentality:
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-bicyclists-drivers-crashes-statistics-2014nov22-story.html

Incidentally, I now have a built in traffic stress meter. Thanks to
one of the vasodilators (blood vessel expanders) that I'm taking, a
sudden increase in blood pressure, such as after a near miss type
incident, causes my face to "flush". It feels like I'm wearing a pin
cushion. It's quite handy to determine if I'm "stressed" while riding
or driving and need to take a break.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D