Old November 1st 08, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

Default Cycle Infrastructure Design

Colin McKenzie wrote:

Pinch points are a work of Stan. A 4m wide pinch point is not a pinch
point at all,

It is if the vehicle trying to overtake is a bus or lorry.

True, but it's not the buses and lorries whose speed pinch points are
there to regulate. Most PCV and LGV drivers keep to the limits,
especially around towns.

This is what annoys me about this document (which I have read). There's
some really good stuff in section 2 about cyclists' dynamic envelopes,
sensible distances to ride from the kerb, and the amount of clearance to
leave when overtaking a cyclist. Follow that guidance, and at 30mph or
more nothing wider than a motorbike should pass a cyclist in a 4m-wide
gap. For a bus to pass at 30 or more, you'd need 5.05m (table 2.3) and
even this assumes the bus grazes the island.

In Oz, I think it is, the minimum permitted passing distance is 1.5m.
Add that to the 0.5m recommended minimum distance form the kerb and yes
you are getting close to the 4m.

These dimensions are then ignored throughout the rest of the document,
in favour of figures for which no justification is given.

Correct. And so are the minimum recommended widths for cycle
"facilities", with cycle lanes considerably narrower than 0.5m being
found in some places; this will in turn lead to some cyclists being
harassed for failing to ride closer to the kerb than is generally
considered safe.

It appears that the original document has been heavily edited before
release by someone who didn't understand section 2.

Probably the DSA, they have no clue whatsoever about cycling but are
still allowed to write the rules for cyclists in the HC.

Guy
- --
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

** Please see http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/wiki/Troll_code **