Old October 25th 17, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Why do some forks and frames have brake rotor size limits?

On 2017-10-24 20:11, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/24/2017 8:13 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 09:06:07 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

Have you considered adding a water mist brake cooling system instead?

Curses, it's not going to work. The problem is that a very fine water
mist sprayed at a red hot brake disk will vaporize (evaporate) the
tiny water droplets before they hit the red hot brake disk. That's
nice for evaporative cooling the air around the brakes, but does
nothing to cool the actual brake disk. To do that would require
larger droplets, a higher velocity droplet spray, or both. Dumping
liquid water on the brakes would also work, but that's like having
your own private rain storm, which was the original problem.

Grumble...

Water does work. I have gone through creeks at the end of a long
downhill and ... phsssss ... cooled it off. A spritz from the water
bottle can also help as it's usually only the front rotor that heats up
a bit much. However, out in the boonies on a hot day one does not want
to spritz away too much of that stuff.

No problem. You pump it into the right end of a hollow axle, and provide
channels connecting that with the inner hollows in a double-sided disc
similar to an automotive disc, like this:
http://www.autopartsapi.com/eEuropar...169e817e2b.jpg

The water flows out radially, carrying heat with it but leaving the
braking surface dry.

Wouldn't that scald the left leg of the rider?

You keep forgetting that for Joerg, weight doesn't matter! ;-)

Within reason it doesn't. If larger rotors cause a few ounces of weight
increase I couldn't care less. Just like the ruggedizing of the MTB
rear-end has probably increased the weight by 2lbs and I am happy as a
fish in the water because now things are rock-solid.

So, Frank, any words of wisdom from the ME when looking at the caliper
mount photos? Assume a worst case vehicle weight of 300lbs (rider + bike
+ cargo), 20mph, steep downhill, full emergency stop on grippy rock.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/