Old December 8th 17, 02:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Default Ryobi tools batteries

Emanuel Berg wrote:
:Speaking of the Ryobi cordless power tool
:chain, I see there are no less then five
:different batteries! All are 18V Lithium but
:the Ah's are 1.3, 1.5, 2.5, 4.0 and 5.0.
:What does that mean? Do you get more power for
:a single drill or cut or whatever or can you
:just do the same thing more times
:before recharge?

Longer run time is the big advantage, but you might get more power
depending on the tool.

18V lithium ion batteries consist of 5 cells in series, to make the the
18V. Bigger batteries (the 4 and 5 AH ones, probably; I don't know
ryobi's line well) have two sets of five cells in parallel (5s2p is the
common notation). If the design supports it (again, I don't know ryobi),
you can draw twice as much current, which lets you have more powerful
tools. I have milwaukee cordless tools. I have a couple 12V tools (a saw
and a oscillating tool) that are pretty much useless when run from a
single row battery, but are quite usable with the 3s2p ones. Most of my
tools are less noticiably more powerful, though.

--
sig 71