Old May 19th 18, 08:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default may or may not be 'tech'

On Sat, 19 May 2018 11:23:05 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 5/19/2018 11:02 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
http://www.velo-pages.com/main.php?g2_itemId=27633&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

And in your link the Weinmann DiaCompe #144 lever (inset #1)
is distinctive and recognizable, unmodified except for
color. Chain (insert #2) is not polymer. The Cyclo chainring
set below that is a standard part shown colored (paint?
image manipulation?) as is the Atom-Regina freewheel.

I'm fairly sure that it's not paint because that added thickness of
one or more layers of paint would tend to round the sharp edges, which
is now what I'm seeing in the photo.

I always assumed the top left whatchacallits were non-bike
subterfuges or distractions, one of which sits posed on a
bicycle sprocket as misdirection. I could be wrong.

Offhand, I would guess(tm) that it's a one way ratchet clutch that
fits inside the red hub. It would make a suitable single speed rear
drive assembly for a bicycle (or a small tank).

I agree that polymer materials, forming techniques
(injection or positive layering) and impregnation/inclusion
(Fiberglas, Spectra/Aramid, carbon strands, metal inserts
and so on) are dramatically different from 1973:

https://aviationbenefits.org/case-st...87-dreamliner/

Sure. When you change the materials used, the sizes, shapes, and
fasteners change with it. Unless the materials have identical
mechanical properties, a building made from wood is quite different
from a similar building made from concrete, mud, hay bales, sod, or
inflatable vinyl. This is especially true of highly optimized
designs, such as bicycles, where proper operation depends on the
adjacent hardware acting in a predictable manner. If the adjacent
hardware changes in some way, then literally every nearby part will
also need to change. Drastic changes, like going from steel to
plastic is going to require some rather radical design changes.

and even:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoPVe7MiY1w

Been there before, about 65 years ago:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=wwii+liberator+pistol
Besides identical names, there are other similarities, such as self
destruction after a few shots, shoddy construction, poor reliability,
etc. Progress blunders onward.

Whenever I see photos of the ride share fiasco in China, where
thousands (or millions?) of bicycles are literally abandoned on the
streets, I have to ask myself, how did they make those bicycles so
quickly and cheaply?
https://www.google.com/search?q=china+abandoned+bikes&tbm=isch
Probably lots of plastic parts.

--