Old February 16th 04, 09:37 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

Default Bicycle Fit Checks - Worth the $$?

I think the computerised bike fit systems in decent road bike shops
are well worth the money. A proper fitting from someone who knows what
they are doing is even better. If the bike is going to cost $2,000 or
more it's a no-brainer.

The usefulness and joy of a bike doesn't come from its price, but rather
from how fun it is to ride. Why should somebody take advantage of being
properly fit on a $2000 bike and not a $600 one? If we, as an industry, did
a better job of fitting people to $600 bikes, they'd spend a *lot* more time
out on the road, a lot less time in the garage, and, in the end, we'd sell a
lot more $2000 bikes.

It's reasonable to expect a more detailed, finely-tuned fitting on somebody
who has ridden a road bike extensively already, compared to somebody new to
the concept (because it's going to take a while for the new rider to
recognize what makes for a more comfortable ride, and to accomplish that
leap-of-faith required to believe that a skinnier saddle and road-type bars
can do that). But it's not reasonable to think that the $600 bike doesn't
benefit as much, and possibly even more so, from being fit properly to the
rider.

--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
On 15 Feb 2004 20:41:46 -0800, (Mike) wrote in
message :

I am searching for a new road bike and I am looking for advice on fit
checks/measurements. I have heard a range of things from a minimum of
a quick visual check to limited measurements to an extreme of paying
$75 for a two hour fitting.

Is it worth paying this type of money for fittings? What questions
should I be asking about their measurements/techniques?

It entirely depends how much you're going to pay for the bike, or
whether (like my LBS) they give you the money back if you buy.

I think the computerised bike fit systems in decent road bike shops
are well worth the money. A proper fitting from someone who knows what
they are doing is even better. If the bike is going to cost $2,000 or
more it's a no-brainer.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at the University of

Washington.