Old April 12th 20, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Economics not bicycle tech

On Sat, 11 Apr 2020 13:31:36 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 4/10/2020 9:08 PM, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 10 Apr 2020 12:30:22 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 4/10/2020 11:57 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
My wife used to be very physically active, broke her ankle, did not do the physical therapy she was supposed to do and now her ankle hurts if she rides a bike or even walks any distance so she avoids it even though she knows better. Because she used to be so active, she cannot do mild exercise but always will overdo it and then be so sore that she avoids it and that turns into never exercising again.

I tried leading her around on a ride and going at very moderate speeds and she loses her patience and takes off. So there is no more point in me trying anymore. I've done this for five years and have gotten exactly nowhere even though I've totally restored both her Colnago Master Piu and her Mercian.

Let me interrupt with some bicycling advice:

Buy a tandem. It works.

When I was in Vietnam the guys in the welding shop built a tandem and
rode it around in the parking area. Then they got bored and turned it
into a triple and rode it around in the parking area... They finally
got up to a fiver", they called it, and found that it was impossible
to ride as, I gathered, it was impossible to coordinate the action of
all five riders.

https://www.cyclemuseum.org.uk/Tandems.aspx

"Five seat tandems were used as pacer machines in cycle races for a
short period in the 1890s until the introduction of motor powered pacers
at the beginning of the twentieth century."

Interesting but I think they may have been a bit more skilled than my
welders frolicking about between jobs :-)

Also https://www.rodbikes.com/catalog/lon.../longbike1.jpg
etc. etc.

We've ridden alongside people on "quads."

--
cheers,

John B.