Old February 25th 19, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
RJH[_2_]

Default Wear a helmet, you know it makes sense

On 25/02/2019 12:10, GB wrote:
On 25/02/2019 11:29, Simon Jester wrote:
On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 9:32:30 AM UTC, RJH wrote:
On 24/02/2019 14:44, Simon Jester wrote:
I assume you always wear a helmet, not just when cycling.

Nope, just cycling, motorbiking and skiing.

Michael Schumacher would probably like to comment on that if he could.

Was he wearing a helmet?

Yes, and skiing got me in to this helmet for cycling business. Cracked
my head - hard - a couple of times skiing, and (luckily) that made me
think. The helmet has saved me a couple of nasty skiing knocks. Weirdly,
on my last holiday a couple of weeks back, the worst was some idiot
turned while holding his skis at shoulder height, and swung them into
the back of my head.

I think Schumacher's accident was a trail of very unfortunate circumstances.

Cycling does of course have a different set of risks, and a helmet only
protects against a possibly small proportion of those. But, as I say,
given the low costs and hassle, why not.

Although - I think a couple of you have suggested the risk of injury
goes up when wearing a cycling helmet - the example of child fatalities,
and motorists being more likely to drive into cyclists with helmets.
I've also heard people suggest false sense of security - but I don't
have one of those ;-)

Quite willing to listen, but not convinced yet . . .

--
Cheers, Rob