Old February 25th 19, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
RJH[_2_]

Default Wear a helmet, you know it makes sense

On 25/02/2019 17:16, Rob Morley wrote:
On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 09:42:52 +0000
RJH wrote:

On 24/02/2019 20:54, Rob Morley wrote:

But what about the circumstances when a helmet can be harmful?
Rotational brain trauma can be more damaging than direct impact, for
example. And did you know that you might be more likely to be hit
by a car if you're wearing a helmet?

Ah, no, I didn't know that. Why might that be likely? Is this
evidenced at all, or some theory extrapolated?

Risk compensation by drivers. It's been measured by at least one
proper study. Obviously there's still the element of a driver
misjudging speed and/or distance badly enough to hit you, but the
reduction in error margin is real.

OK, thanks - is that the heart rate variability study of 2011? it's the
only one I can find - "helmet users reported higher experienced risk and
cycled slower when they did not wear their helmet"?

--
Cheers, Rob