Old April 16th 21, 01:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

Default OT: food: was: Nibali bike crash

I didn't know what "rib tips" were until recently, so I wonder how
many of you knew the significance of being able to eat them? The
description on the menu said "gristle" but it's actually cartilage,
and downright crunchy.

I was surprised to find that the cylinders of cartilage that are too
hard to chew can be cut easily with a sharp knife. I could have cut
them thin enough to eat, but even a dedicated bone-gnawer does have
limits.

There were only two little pieces of bone in ten rib tips. (No, I
didn't eat all of them at one sitting; I had the largest left-over tip
for lunch today, and the remaining three for supper.) (The fifth was
yesterday's bedtime snack.)

Yes, food is on-topic in every newsgroup, but barbecued meat is lousy
bike fuel.

Unless you have it *after* the ride. On the bike tour of Southern
England, after an unusual sixty-mile day I ordered trout because the
restaurant got it from a nearby stream -- only to find that trout is a
delicate dish that must be eaten one fine bone at a time.

To make matters worse, I didn't have enough sense to reject the tiny
juice glass of milk and say "I ordered a pint". England had
wonderful dairy products -- and wouldn't let you have any.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net