Old April 24th 21, 01:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Default I am that out of date

Wolfgang Strobl wrote:
Am Thu, 22 Apr 2021 14:20:28 -0700 (PDT) schrieb
" :

On Thursday, April 22, 2021 at 7:34:46 AM UTC-5, Wolfgang Strobl wrote:
Am Wed, 21 Apr 2021 19:33:09 -0700 (PDT) schrieb
" :

But brakes have always worked
just fine for the past hundred years. I'm sure recent
improvements are better. But not much better since there
wasn't much to improve.
Well, this is why I don't really like these ****ing contests wrt.
innovations. Sometimes, progress comes in tiny steps, almost invisible.
Anyway, there was a lot to improve. Modern brakes work better when the
rim is wet and have a lot less hysteresis. I guess some of the disc
brake hype comes from people switching from old rim brakes to new disc
brakes.

Awhile ago cars had drum brakes.

Did cars ever have rim brakes?

All cars have disc brakes
now.

Not yet. Our family car still has drum brakes on the rear wheels.

It doesn't matter, cars aren't bicycles.

The old drum brakes worked.

Still do.

Some EV I believe have switched to drums vs disks as EV’s have a lot of
regenerative braking, and so the brakes are used less, and tend to fail
from lack of use, plus less drag.

I am sure disc brakes are
better. An improvement. A necessary improvement. Yes. But I
don't think it was like we went from rear end crashes on
every single drive to rear end crashes once a decade when
brakes changed from drum to disc. Disc brakes work better
than drum brakes in cars.

Older cars with drums needed care where I grew up, as the hills though not
generally long, are steep, cars since are generally not bothered, still get
the odd lorry that runs out of brakes, the road down the valley is over 10%
and few miles long and see lorries either in the sand pit, or on fire
heading for it!
Perhaps. I believe that having drum brakes in the rear may have a slight
advantage, in a car. But using a single technology has advantages to,
so switching to disc brakes does make sense.

New bicycle disc and sidepull and
cantilever brakes work better than the much, much older
centerpull and sidepull brakes on bicycles from long, long
ago. But it ain't night and day, life or death different.

On road I’d agree on the whole off road no, even the jump from cable to
hydraulic disks is quite noticeable from a hang on for dear life, to meh.

Indeed. There is far too much fear mongering around bicycles, much of it
driven by ignorance and hype.

Roger Merriman