Old August 11th 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Claire Petersky

Default RSVP 2006 Trip Report

"Roy Zipris" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, Claire. Where does the phrase "blue room" come from?

My friend Lynne is who I heard it from. Generally in the PNW, the Honey
Bucket company provides the portable toilets for bicycle events. The
standard portable toilet by this company is blue, hence the moniker "Blue
Room". (For a pictu
http://www.honeybucket.com/images/HB...MaximLarge.jpg)
Once over the border, it was a different company, so I guess we had some
yellow and green Blue Rooms instead.

And what is a
"Dan Henry"?

A Dan Henry is the painted directional arrow on the pavement. As usual,
Sheldon Brown has the scoop: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ha-i.html,
scroll or search for Dan Henry. The simplest ones are a circle with a little
pointer, like those used on the 7 Hills of Kirkland
(http://www.7hillskirkland.com/images/faq.ht1.jpg). On some rides I've been
on, they use a color coded system, where, for example, the half-metric
century loop is one color, the metric century is another, and the 100 mile
is yet a third. Then the maps and cue sheets are sometimes color coordinated
too -- if you're following the green Dan Henrys, then you use the green map.

For this particular ride, the Dan Henrys were stenciled: an apple on the
Washington State side, a maple leaf on the Canadian side. Many of the
Canadian cities have rules against permanent paint on the pavement, so
Cascade uses a water soluable paint. This wreaked havoc with the very rainy
2004 ride, during which all the Dan Henrys were washed away. Yeah, you can
use the cue sheet (map is far too general), but there are a lot of turns on
the ride, and they're easy to miss.

RSVP sounds like a journey I'd like to challenge myself,
one day.

It's lots of fun. I thought of you when I was up in Bellingham, thinking, I
bet Mr. Zipris would like this town.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky