Old April 27th 18, 07:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Dry lube?

On 26/04/18 18:46, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
James, 2018-04-26 01:55+0200:
Like Frank said, wax alone allows and the chain will squeak sooner
rather than later. I use much more oil than Frank though, about 50/50
candle wax and EP gear oil. Paraffin oil is also apparently quite good.

Thank you for the advice!

My mixture cost me sweet F.A., and lasts at least 1000km between
applications including some wet rides. Heat the mix in an old cooking
pot until it is liquid and immerse the chain. Use a Connex quick link
for convenience.

So, to sum up, I can get some paraffin wax, put it in a pot with some
oil (paraffin or motor oil), heat it until it melts, stir to make an
homogeneous mix, and immerse my previously cleaned chain in it. All
right?

I used 80/90 EP gear oil. I don't know the effect of motor oil, but
otherwise yes. My wife had no use for a large candle. The wax cost me
nothing, and is scented ;-)

The mixture will solidify again so I can then remove it from the pot and
store it in some jar.

I just leave mine in the pot ready for next time. Put a lid on it so it
doesn't fill with dust and so on.

It's the best of three worlds.
1/ Long chain life.
2/ Low maintenance.
3/ Low cost.

Great, I have to try this! With some adaptation to enhance the wife
acceptance factor, because I expect some trouble if I use a kitchen pot
for such a mechanic work. :-D

A second hand store / opportunity shop would be a place to find a cheap
cooking pot.

People say heating wax & oil over a flame is dangerous, but I've not had
any bad experiences. Just be careful and be aware the wax solution will
likely burn you while it is hot. Handle the chain with pliers or put a
piece of wire through a link so you can dip it in, leave it for a couple
of minutes, and lift it out. Wipe off any excess that doesn't drip off.

--
JS