Old December 22nd 17, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal

Default Reducing speed to 20mph ‘created more deaths

On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 17:42:28 +0000
Nightjar wrote:
On 21-Dec-17 11:09 AM, wrote:
I doubt anyone expects cars to stick to 20 anyway. I imagine the thinking
behind it is that at 30 cars do anything up to 40 so put 20 signs up and
they'll do 25-30 which is acceptable.

The aim really is to reduce speeds to 20mph, or not much above it. This
is based upon the 1979 findings that pedestrians struck by a car doing
30mph have a 20% risk of dying, as compared to 2.5% at 20mph. More
recently, this has been revised down to 8% and 1.5%, which may be due to
improvements in vehicle design since the first report. However, it is

I get a bit fed up with those statistics. You could take it to its absurd
logical conclusion and say at zero mph there is a 0% risk of anyone dying!
However society has to balance risk with activity and I think most drivers
accept that 30mph is pretty much the best compromise limit on local streets
unless they're really narrow or unpaved.

the most ignored limit of all, with 84% of cars exceeding 20mph, as
compared to 46% exceeding 70mph on motorways.

Hardly surprising. I ignore them too. The only people who stick to 20 are
pensioners but thats their normal driving speed anyway.