Old December 8th 04, 08:41 PM
Jack Russell

Default Cycling benefits 'outweigh deaths'

cfsmtb wrote:
Here's some breaking news from the world of politix that maybe of
interest to you. Same old message or important media release?

Discuss.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...5E1702,00.html

THE benefits of regular bike riding outweighed the loss of life through
cycling accidents, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) said
today.

.....refer to more, fwd'ed message below from Transport Australia

--- In , "Magarey Paul"
paul.magarey@d... wrote:
Source documents for this are found at:

Media Release from Jim Lloyd:
http://www.ministers.dotars.gov.au/j...r/l60_2004.htm
(pasted below)

ASTB Web page: http://www.atsb.gov.au/road/mgraph/mgraph17/index.cfm

MEDIA RELEASE
The Hon Jim Lloyd MP
Minister for Local Government,
Territories and Roads
L60/2004

MOTORISTS AND CYCLISTS MUST SHARE THE ROAD

There are around 2500 cyclists seriously injured on the public road
system each year according to a new statistical report by the
Australian Transport Safety Bureau, Cycle Safety: A National
Perspective.

Releasing the report today, Minister for Local Government, Territories
and Roads, Jim Lloyd, called for motorists and cyclists to share the
road.

"Cycling is an important form of transport and recreation for many
people in the community," Mr Lloyd said.

"It is important that motorists recognise the rights of cyclists to use
the road and be considerate."

"It is equally important for cyclists to know their responsibilities on
the road and follow the rules."

"While we shouldn't ignore the risks of cycling, we should also
recognise the significant benefits regular cycling can provide to the
community," he said.

"Cycling should be encouraged as it can provide significant
environmental and health benefits."

"The National Cycling Strategy, Australia Cycling: the National
Strategy, 1999-2004 recognises these benefits and my department
supports the implementation of the strategy through the Australian
Bicycle Council." Mr Lloyd said.

The ATSB report summarises some of the key cycling safety indicators.
Key findings of the report include:

* Cyclists account for around 2 per cent of road deaths and 11 per cent
of seriously injured each year.
* In 2003, cycling was the fourth most popular physical activity among
people aged 15 years and older.
* There is considerable evidence that the overall community benefits
from cycling are likely to outweigh the loss of life through cycling
accidents.

Cycle Safety: A National Perspective can be obtained from the ATSB's
web site: www.atsb.gov.au/road/mgraph/mgraph17/index.cfm

Media Contacts
Graeme Hallett ( Minister Lloyd's Office ) 0419 688 440
--- End forwarded message ---

These are the arguements the UK CTC (with the backing of medical groups)
have been using for years.

--
Remove norubbish to reply direct

Jack Russell