Old June 9th 21, 08:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default New Tires

On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 11:14:22 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/9/2021 1:31 PM, jbeattie wrote:
I think the Gatorskin has better flat resistance than the Zaffiro and better wet traction, except that the Zaffiro has a tread pattern that offers better grip on grass/leaves, etc. Wet traction differences on smooth pavement are minimal. I don't know any tire that really outperforms on wet pavement. The Michelin Pro4 Endurance and the 4Season were good. I've got some Power Endurance, but I haven't ridden them in wet weather yet.

I'll admit to being a lousy judge of bike tire traction, especially in
the wet.

I wouldn't test traction while cornering. Ever since some bad
experiences as a teenager, I've been pretty careful at cornering. Except
on a mountain bike, I can't remember ever sliding out.

I suppose wet weather braking would be a test, but I do relatively
little riding in the rain, and then I brake about as cautiously as I corner.

I do remember one fun incident, climbing a steep grade (maybe 15%) with
a friend on the back of the tandem. He and I were working hard on the
climb and came to a place where a trickle of water ran across the road.
We spun the rear wheel a bit as we crossed the wet patch.

This is a little cut-through on my flat commute home that I use for tire traction testing -- and I'm testing rear wheel slip out while seated. I don't test cornering slip-out (at least not intentionally). https://tinyurl.com/tnbrhu7 If its raining hard and there is a river flowing down that street, then no tire sticks that well, but its a good place for testing when the pavement is just wet.

-- Jay Beattie.