Old June 23rd 05, 07:22 AM
Werehatrack

Default Changing gripshift 7-speed to rapid-fire?

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 00:39:35 -0500, (rs)
wrote:

I'm pretty new to cycling after a 25 year break so this question may be naive.

Only the question not asked is truly naive.

I recently purchsed a bike (used Univega Via Montega) and it has Front
derailleurer: Shimano Altus 3-speed & rear derailleur: Shimano RSX 7 speed
with the shifters being Gripshift MRX on my flat handle bar. I like those
rapid shifters I see on some bikes, a friend has a bike that I think has
shifters that say BS on them and you use your thumb to upshift and index
finger to release to shift down and they seem to work well.

Actually, in most cases, one side shifts up with the index finger and
the other side shifts up with the thumb, but I agree with your overall
evaluation; I personally prefer this type of setup as well.

Can my bike be converted to those type of shifters

Certainly.

and what would be the
proper parts to buy? Would it be STX/Alivio SL-MC40 or Shimano Rapidfire 7
seven speed shifters, model SL-MC40 which I'm guessing are the same thing?

Any of the SIS-compatible shifters should work, which basically means
just about any 7-rear/3-front indexed Shimano bits for a mountain bike
should do the job. The Alivios have worked well for me, as have the
Deore and Altus. The Rapidfire feature (which permits the
thumb-operated lever to traverse several clicks with one long push
when shifting the rear) is present on a number of the Shimano setups.
The only potential hassle is that many of the shifters have integral
brake levers, and the majority of the setups are likely to be built
for V-brakes; if your Univega is old enough that it has cantilever
brakes, you may have to convert to V-brakes when you upgrade the
shifters.

Also is it even worth it?

Only you can answer that question. I'd have no qualms about doing it
if the bike fits and rides well otherwise.

how much should all this cost?

With careful shopping, if you have V-brakes on the bike now, it might
be done for as little as $35 including new cable housings. Perhaps
less if you can scrounge used parts. If you have canti brakes, the
cost goes up.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.