Old November 10th 17, 02:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Alfine 11 hub skipping under hard pedaling

Dear All,

Thank you for your comments and advice. I investigated a little more and I have isolated the skipping to the 8th gear. It only happens after pedaling for a while so it is hard to replicate on a stand. Now, every time it happens, I change the adjustment a little and experiment with the frequency of the skips.

Also, as you suggested, I need to change the oil. The Shimano or Rohloff oils are ridiculously expensive, so I have found this alternative at a reasonable price:

Liqui Moly 1401 GL4 SAE 80 W Transmission Oil

For about $10 per quart it will allow me to rinse the hub more than once and more change the oil. What do you think?

Many thanks again

Dimitris

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B004FPQYW4/

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 3:22:34 PM UTC+2, dstamat wrote:
Dear All,

The Alfine 11 SG-S700 hub of my commuting bicycle has started to skip when I pedal standing up. Mostly around the middle of the range (5, 6 and 7). I hear a very loud noise and I have to stop pedaling. It does not happen when pedaling seated. When in 6 gear the two small yellow lines are aligned so I guess it is not because of bad adjustment.

I have had this bike for ~5 years but it has only been ridden for ~1000 mi. The oil of the hub has not been changed yet.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Dimitris