Old December 7th 10, 02:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
Tad McClellan

Default Kill-filing

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.bicycles.tech.]
Edward Dolan wrote:
I just realized I will not see a response to this post unless I make sure it
comes to RBS. I do not monitor RBT.

It has become obvious to me that you are not a "technology person".

"Tad McClellan" wrote in message
["Followup-To:" header set to rec.bicycles.tech.]
Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tºm ShermªnT °_°" " wrote in
message ...
On 12/6/2010 10:08 AM, Duane Hébert wrote:

At home I use Outlook Express for a news reader.[...]

Bill Gates holding a gun to your head?

Most of us are already paying enough for our Internet connection without
the
extra expense of a newsreader.

There are over a dozen free newsreaders available to Bill's minions,
so the "extra expense" is zero.

I think a lot of folks have ISPs which do not provide free newsreaders.

ISPs *never* provide newsreaders, neither pay-for nor free!

Usenet is a "client-server architecture":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Client%...93server_model

Newsreaders are clients, they run on your local computer.

News *feeds* are servers, they run on your ISP's computers.

used to use Outlook Express and now I use Windows Mail.

Your ISP provided those?

I don't think so.

It is convenient to
use them and they work well enough as far as I can tell.

A purpose-built tool is always better than a jack-of-all-trades tool.

I am pretty sure
Mr. Sherman is paying for his newsreader.

You are wrong.

It is easy enough to determine that youself by examining the
headers of his posts.

He uses Thunderbird. Thunderbird is free software.

What is a good free newsreader just in case I need one someday?

I never use Windows, so I don't know, but it is easy to find out:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=free+windows+newsreaders

--
Tad McClellan
email: perl -le "print scalar reverse qq/moc.liamg\100cm.j.dat/"