Old December 16th 10, 06:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

Default Bicyclist Fatalities in AZ 2009

On Dec 15, 5:53*pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
*See if you can read this chart:

http://commuteorlando.com/wordpress/...2009/04/passin...

Here's more detail:http://www.cyclistview.com/overtaking/

Or try the video he

http://commuteorlando.com/wordpress/...motorists-with...

Frank,
I hope you are not going to try to tell us these illustrate your
hypothetical. Especially in light of your badgering anyone who said
"it depends." These all illustrate roads where there is an adjoining
lane going the same direction fer chrissake!

"Safe" passing is hardly even an issue! The limited details that you
provided and your focus on "safe passing" certainly suggested to me
that the primary issue was the safety issue in a following vehicle
having to cross into an _oncoming_ lane to pass.
And I was thinking of safety for all concerned, not just the hall
monitor cyclist

Where there is an entire lane available without obstructing traffic -
hey, who cares? Take the whole damn thing! AFAIK that is legal is most
circumstances, although I wouldn't consider it wise on a highway.
Speed is still a big issue but the circumstances of the video you link
are not remotely similar to what I (and I believe others) were
discussing. Note that while you added a curb and sidewalk to your weak
original description, you never said squat when Jay posted images of
narrow two lane roads or spoke of impeding traffic.

I think you owe an apology to anyone who refused to take your bait and
correctly answered "it depends" based upon your poorly proffered
example.

DR