Old January 1st 11, 10:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Tips on carbon fiber WSD bikes?

On Jan 1, 1:43*pm, "Jean" wrote:
I'm looking to replace my old road bike with a carbon fiber model. My
criteria a women's specific design, comfy for all day riding, smooth
riding, light weight, Shimano 105 components, and preferably a triple crank.

Via the web, I've checked out the specs and reviews for following bikes:
Cannondale (Synapse Fem 5), Felt (ZW5), Giant (Avail Advanced 2), Trek
(Madrone 3.1WSD), or Specialized (Ruby Elite Apex). I was hoping y'all might
have some insights into these bikes so that I could minimize driving all
over the state (there are no local dealers for most of these brands) to do
the final fit check-out and test ride.

So here goes. Assuming equally good fit and tire size/psi - Do any of these
bikes stand out as more smooth riding? *Do any of these bikes stand out as
more comfy for all day long cruising? Does anyone have any idea how the
weights compare for the same size bike?

Thanks for any help trying to trim down my list of potential bikes.

If you would post more information about specifics as to what you are
riding now, and details of your riding habits,
you could get more helpful advice.

Do you have some good "fit" data? As others have said, that's the
place to start.

"WSD" didn't work for my other half, at all, in her required 47cm
center-to-center seat tube length, including stock sizes from lots of
different makers up and down the price scale, also including 700c and
650c wheels. She got a custom-made "real" WSD bike that is comfortable
and a good (excellent IMHO) handler and yes, I did sneak a ride or two
on it, in addition to observing her. Excellent stability in strong,
choppy crosswinds with a light rider aboard, for one important aspect
of the riding experience.

Hers is a road pattern, meant for riding in faster recreational "racer-
dude" groups. If you're cruising at slower speeds, especially over
longer time spans, you might well want a more upright position (and
other differences in layout) in the first place. Hence the request for
specifics IRT your current bike and riding style.
--D-y