Old March 10th 17, 06:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Shoe Overlap

On 3/10/2017 12:14 PM, wrote:
A friend of mine just had a custom bike built and although it fits great there is a 2 cm shoe overlap of the front wheel. The danger of this is making a hard turn and trying to straighten out with your foot then in the way. Criterium racers in particular could do this because they only stop pedalling at the absolute apex and then start again with the front wheel still turned.

Anyone else had any experience with this? I remember high siding because of this. Luckily not in a race to be run over by a hundred riders.

I have overlap with (IIRC) two of my bikes, exacerbated by front
fenders. I've never had a problem with it. It doesn't matter once a
person's riding, because except at super low track-standish speeds, the
steering angle is not great enough to cause interference.

But I have two friends who toppled as they started from a dead stop,
both with the same cause. As they stood still, they had their front
wheel turned so the rear portion of the wheel was outside their foot, so
to speak. As they started up and tried to balance, their toe prevented
the front wheel from returning to center. No injuries; just embarrassment.

--
- Frank Krygowski