Old March 10th 17, 11:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Shoe Overlap

On 11/03/17 04:14, wrote:
A friend of mine just had a custom bike built and although it fits
great there is a 2 cm shoe overlap of the front wheel. The danger of
this is making a hard turn and trying to straighten out with your
foot then in the way. Criterium racers in particular could do this
because they only stop pedalling at the absolute apex and then start
again with the front wheel still turned.

Anyone else had any experience with this? I remember high siding
because of this. Luckily not in a race to be run over by a hundred
riders.

I had a bike with some overlap, but not that much.

While riding and cornering it was never an issue, and I suspect the
front wheel doesn't get turned that far to corner during a race. The
tightest corners were undoubtedly doing a U-turn on a road only 5m wide.

It was a problem for me doing a track stand. When I had my custom frame
designed I made sure there was enough clearance.

--
JS