Old March 15th 17, 01:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Jan Heine on wheel building

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 9:51:48 AM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
https://janheine.wordpress.com

Today's blog post is about building strong wheels.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Almost all of it was just simple common sense. Nothing contentious. But this sentence from the article was a bit odd:

"For each of these rim/hub combinations, we now offer spoke packages with the highest-quality, double-butted, superlight Sapim Laser spokes (2.0 – 1.5 – 2.0 mm) and aluminum nipples."

I understand his explanation of detensioning the spokes on every revolution and the thin spokes stretch more to prevent some of the detensioning. But going with $1 a piece Laser spokes of 14/17 gauge instead of the cheaper 50 cents a piece and readily available 15/14 double butted spokes from DT or Sapim. Aluminum nipples? I thought brass was the standard for reliability. Never rounds off or breaks ever.