Old December 6th 03, 11:17 PM
N Grover

Default why MTB'ing should not be an environmental target

hmmmm, i appreciate environmental issues.....the world is indeed in grave
danger.

Would you conclude that mountain biking should be banned all together? I
don't think you have done a fair evaluation of mountain biking and here is
why:

1) Mountain biking itself is not the main contributor to environmental
damage, reckless rider are.
2) Responsible riders will ride on pre-existing trials, such as horse
trails, cross-country ski trails etc. I personally don't ever get on my
bike and simply plow into the bush and blaze new trails and I don't think
many of us do.
3) To have a swimming pool you have to create a special purpose building
which consumes enormous amounts of energy to heat, chemicals to treat the
water etc, transportation to get to the pool every day. Or running events
that require a track that replaces natural areas...and
the list goes on. The great thing about mountain biking is that it gives
us an oportunity to enjoy the intrinsic value of nature which is important
for without the enjoyment of wilderness there is one less motivation to
want to protect it. One of the ways to teach childrean about the value of
nature is to show it to them so they can appreciate it's beauty. With my
MTB I usually don't have to drive anywhere and I don't need a special
facility (resource hog) to do it.
4) With all the highways, urban development, polution etc you pick on
MTB'ing. Ok so just because there are other bad things in this world
doesn't make something else bad OK but it perplexes me why you would
single out MTB'ing among all other sports, including those that don't
allow us to enjoy wilderness (undeniably important) and require special
facilities all over the world (bad for the environment) such as hockey
rinks (major CFC emissions).
5) The world may not have as much forest as Canada but don't tell me we
don't have room for mountain biking. Personally I consider it far more
important to use less paper and choose to live in the city instead of
sprawling into newly developed areas.

I suppose my point is....yes at some level and because of some radical
people, MTB'ing will hurt the environment but please don't use it as an
example sport which overshadows far greater concerns. As you pointed out,
the Olympics itself is one big environmental problem with people flying in
from all over the world, facilities being built, etc. In the end I don't
think it will do the world any good to be in their basement running on
treadmills made from recycled egg shells. MTB'ing has a place in the
olympics and in my opinion (all things considered) does not harm the
environment any more than the average sport. May I also point out that the
sport of MTB'ing has promoted environmental stewardardship more than any
indoor sport.

-- Neil Grover