Old October 31st 18, 01:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ned Mantei[_2_]

Default Bicycle Accident

On 30-10-18 15:33, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I looked at a number of other images in that photo stream you posted links to. I found it interesting that the signs were in time = how long it'd take to get some place rather than in distances such as kilometers.

Those signs ("Wegweiser" in German) are all meant for hikers. Hiking is
*THE* outdoor activity in Switzerland, with marked trails everywhere. Go
https://map.wanderland.ch/?lang=en&b...ers=Wanderland
to get an idea of this. At the link you will first see national trails,
but as you zoom in you see more and more local ones, often every few
hundred meters.

The signs are yellow for trails that are more or less easy hiking for
anyone, and except for the occasional stairway generally o.k. for a
mountain bike. White-red-white stripes indicate more difficult trails,
but not mountain climbing--here its bike-and-hike. Blue signs are for
the even more difficult routes, which I never take either with bike or
on foot. Examples of the latter two types of signs are he
https://flic.kr/p/aJCBUV . To get to where that photo was shot I pushed
the bike for 2 hours or so, starting at Alp Funtauna, seen from above
two photos earlier in the series. But I had it easy: People running the
Swiss Alpine Marathon were coming down the trail as I was going up. For
some of them it was running/walking 36 km with 1,720 meters ascent and
1080 meters descent, mostly on rough mountain trails. Even more
difficult routes were possible, up to 77.5 km.