Old April 4th 05, 09:48 AM
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

jj wrote:
: On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 10:56:56 +0000 (UTC), Chicago Paddling-Fishing
: wrote:

:jj wrote:
:: Yesterday was a pretty good day as I hit 30mph on the flats for the first
:: time. Granted I could only hold it for 10-15 seconds when the road started
:: up hill, but uh, yay, me.
:
:Didn't it just plain feel too fast? I was doing 36 (downhill) and
:started thinking... "Any slipup and I'm gonna really hurt..."

: Oddly it didn't feel that fast. I wonder if there's some kind of
: stabilizing gyro thing happening that makes it feel more stable above 25 or
: so. I've felt this a few times, very subjective, probably no basis in fact.
: (Obviously, unlike downhill, you let up for a second and the speed rapidly
: drops off as well adding to the less 'out-of-control' feeling.)

: Downhill, yes it feels much faster (to me). The highest speed I've let
: myself go downhill is 35-36, being a newbie clydesdale rider. (In my
: University days at a skinny 155 I never worried about speed, but ya know
: the bigger you are... ;-) )

Yea... I had gotten to the point where I could no longer pedal fast enough
to engage the sprocket.. someplace over 36mph as I stopped looking at the
bike computer after a while concentrating on what I hoped was debris free
roadway (I guess so I'd know before I went thwack onthe street)...

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page